The Birth of Dementia.

Welcome to the world of Dementia Comics. This is a new label founded by myself with a companion blog that showcases stories and art by me and  guest appearances from friends and associates, and everything about my new passion for the comic world.

I am relatively new to the comic world, but have dove in head first and am eager to read and learn everything.

My interest in comics began when my best friend Karley invited me to go with her to the annual Hurley Con; a comic convention hosted by the local  comic and game shop Hurley's Heroes in Joplin, MO. At that time I didn't know anything at all about comics or graphic novels, but Hurley Con sounded fun (and since I had never been to a comic con before), so I decided to go. Going into the event I had the expectation of seeing tons of people dressed  up as their favorite character, but didn't know what else to think. There were only a few people who were dressed up (and they were fabulous!!!), but  the really exciting part was the variety of people and art. There were people who were drawing (both commissions and freelance work), independent comic artists selling their creations, stores had booths with a mass variety of comics, and people who were represented by big labels and who had done work on popular comics. This was a world that I knew nothing about, and yet it was so huge. I was floored by it all, and became ecstatic  with everything I saw.

My next taste of the comic world was during Free Comic Book Day, the first Saturday in May. Free comics, who could pass that by? I couldn't, and  the good part is the fact that there was a great selection of free comics put out for the public, and a lot of the times they varied from store to store so I  was able to pick up a lot that day. With each comic I learned about drawing, layouts, formats, and the details it takes to make a comic. I was hooked, and there was no going back.

As an artist myself, I decided to funnel my new passion into making comics, and learning everything about the process of creating them. All of it has led  me to this point. I am launching my own label so that all my work can be represented with ease under one name.

I hope you enjoy everything that I present here just as much as I enjoy it. In addition, I hope that you are very fruitful in your pursuits, and enjoy all that  comics have to offer.

Sincerely,
W.B. Fair

P.S.- I have provided a link at the bottom of this blog and on the sidebar to your right to the Hurley's Heroes facebook page, because Hurley's is an amazing local business that has a  variety of comics and trade paperbacks, and has a calendar full of activities that are fun. Visit their page, and then visit them in their shop because they  are great, and you'll definitely be sure to find something that'll peak your interest. Plus, if they can they'll order something for you if they don't have it.

Finally, so you can mark your calendar, the next Free Comic Book Day is May 7, 2011! Be sure to go to these events, because you'll find a lot of great comics!

No comments:

Post a Comment