May is: Zombie Appreciation Month!

May is officially the greatest month ever! Not only does my birthday fall during this month, but I found out recently that it's a month appreciating everything Zombie. Of course if there's a month appreciating my most favorite things, and yes Zombies are one of my most favorite things in this entire world, I am definitely going to celebrate it and I urge you to celebrate it too! From comics to movies, across all genres I can't get enough of Zombies.


Finding out that this was Zombie Appreciation Month caused me to think 'what started this love for Zombies?'

I first experienced Zombies in Jr. High School when I watched the original Night of the Living Dead; I wanted a scary movie so I rented it (I have always been a horror movie fan). I got my popcorn and snacks and had the room dark, and even though I had been a little (...a lot) desensitized by modern horror films the 1968 classic scared me. The way it was filmed, and the story, the suspense, it was amazing. I had to watch it over and over. Let's pause a moment and thank George A. Romero for everything that he has done!

During that time Resident Evil was also popular, so those two films sparked a passion that has gotten and is only going to get stronger!

A little after that time I discovered the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. Anita Blake is a vampire hunter but also she raises the dead for a living; she has the special ability to make zombies! This series has many great qualities, and I highly recommend it to everyone!

What was your first experience with Zombies? Leave a comment!

For this event I have created a design that is being sold on the Dementia Comics Store. There is a cool button, tote bag, and two different shirt possibilities (shown below) with the design on them. Celebrate Zombies all year long with one of these fun products!



Either way, celebrate Zombies in your own way, and have fun doing it! Have a Zombie movie night, make a themed party, or read a novel/graphic novel. You might even be able to join a group in your town that has Zombie Walks or other Zombie activities.

Enjoy!
*

No comments:

Post a Comment